2020 Census Participant Statistical Areas Program (PSAP)
The 2020 Census Participant Statistical Areas Program (PSAP) allows local governments, following Census Bureau guidelines, to review and update the boundaries for Census tracts, Census block groups, Census Designated Places, and, where applicable, Census County Divisions for the 2020 Census. The updated statistical areas will be used by the Census Bureau to report data from the 2020 Decennial Census, American Community Survey, and, as appropriate, other censuses and surveys.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is serving as the 2020 Census PSAP primary participant for all counties in NCTCOG's 16-county region. NCTCOG's Transportation Department will coordinate the edits to Census geography boundaries with input from local governments and entities and submit final boundary plans for each county to the Census Bureau in spring 2019. The Census Bureau will review the edits and determine the final delineations to be validated in 2020.
To stay informed or ask questions about the 2020 Census PSAP process in the NCTCOG region, please complete the Contact Us form below.
Connect to this downloads page to download NCTCOG pre-plan shapefiles for each boundary by county.
NCTCOG PSAP Timeline:
- February 5, 2019 - 2 p.m - Transportation Council Room, NCTCOG, 616 Six Flags Drive, Arlington, TX
- February 15, 2019 - NCTCOG pre-plan for census tracts will be available for download.
- March 8, 2019 - Deadline for entities to submit their recommendations for census tract boundary delineations to NCTCOG.
- March 8, 2019 - NCTCOG pre-plan for CDPs and CCDs will be available for download.
- March 31, 2019 - NCTCOG pre-plan for block groups will be available for download. If individual counties are available earlier, then we will send out that information via our email list.
- April 30, 2019 - Deadline for entities to submit their recommendations for block group, CDPs, and CCDs boundary delineations to NCTCOG.
- May 1-24, 2019 - NCTCOG will review submissions, work with entities to resolve any conflicts, and make final submissions for each county to the Census Bureau.
- June - December 2019 - Census Bureau will review the submitted boundary delineations and determine final delineations.
- January - March 2020 - NCTCOG and entities will validate final delineations.
- Census Bureau’s Participant Statistical Areas Program Website:
- Census Bureau Quick Reference Guides:
- Final Guidelines for PSAP Definition:
- Census Transportation Planning Products Webinar on PSAP 2020: